Follow

Wednesday 4 December 2013

Jewellery Showcase - Stay Gold Mary Rose

StayGoldMaryRose is a collection of work by Abigail MaryRose Clark. Abigail has been making for shops and boutiques worldwide since 2004. Designing and vending her 'Repurposed Vintage Teacup Bracelets' for Anthropologie EU across the USA and UK for the Winter catalogue 2010, The 'Vintage China Plate Air Balloon Pendant' collection for Anthropologie Autumn/Winter 2011 and the 'Tapis' and 'Pheasant' pattern bangle collections for Anthropologie Autumn/Winter 2012.

We asked Abigail a few questions...

Okay, let’s start with an introduction...tell us something interesting about yourself and give us the quick lowdown on the Jewellery you make. 
My name is Abigail and I make jewellery using reclaimed vintage china for my company, StayGoldMaryRose.
Something interesting? … I am the proud owner of my own official Blue Peter badge from appearing on the show (in my youth) playing the Glockenspiel.
I also lived in the Beegee’s house when I was at University!

Can you tell us about your design process? Does it start with an idea, a vision, a material...? 
My design process is slightly backwards. I had always been told to work from an idea, translate the idea onto paper and then into a physical object. Working with the materials I do, I have had to change all of that. I find the object first and then work with it to change it into a wearable object.

Can you remember the first piece you ever designed?
The first pieces I ever designed (apart from varnishing sweets and making rings out of them in secondary school) were in my first year of University. They were a collection of brooches made fromvintage pocket watch parts and faces.

What objects, people, places or spaces influence and inspire you?
I am obsessed with Ceramics, from vintage china to garish European designs. I love the history and heritage of the British China industry. Scandinavian glass and ceramic design. I love reading, travelling anywhere.

Your designs are bold, standout pieces, does this reflect your personal style?
I think my designs reflect my personality more than my personal style.

What do you do when you’re not making jewellery? Or is it a full-time job?
I am fortunate enough to make on a full time basis. I work in a home studio so I tend to spend all hours of the day and night working. A huge percentage of my customers and Stockists are based in the USA so I tend to work on their time as well as UK time. Outside of work I love to grow vegetables and fruit on our allotment, I love running by the ocean, Live music and Books.

What’s the single best piece of advice you can give to someone starting out in Jewellery Design? 
I would say to always make the jewellery that you want to make. I was once told by tutors that my ideas wouldn’t take off but I continued to make the work I wanted to make. I you have an idea that you believe in, go for it. Be honest, be professional, be original and you’ll go far.

Here's a little look at just some of the pieces we will be showing in the Jewellery Showcase this week.

If that's whetted your appetite come and join us on the opening night (Thursday 5th December from 5.30 - 8pm) and all throughout December.





No comments:

Post a Comment