Follow

Tuesday 3 December 2013

Jewellery Showcase - Kirsty Fraser

Much of Kirsty's work focuses on the interstitial spaces created by buildings and other structures along with an emphasis on extending beyond traditional approaches to jewellery making. Her inspiration stems from her photography of industrial areas of Glasgow and countries across Africa.
Each piece of jewellery is a miniature sculpture with strong architectural presence and graphical potential.

We asked Kirsty a few questions...


Okay, let’s start with an introduction…tell us something interesting about yourself and give us the quick lowdown on the Jewellery you make.
Okay something interesting!..between 2nd and 3rd year of University, I spent three months in Africa, spending my time helping at an orphanage 4 hours outside of Nairobi and then getting the chance to travel before I came home.
After graduating, I set up my own business and have been working hard to develop it over the past 2 years. I have my workshop at home on the outskirts of Glasgow and design and make all my pieces from there. Many of my pieces incorporate precious and non precious metals as well as different types of wood and acrylic.

Can you tell us about your design process? Does it start with an idea, a vision, a material…?
I use a lot of my own photography for research purposes, from which I develop many of my ideas. I often scan the images onto my computer and manipulate them to highlight different shape formations, patterns and repetitive sequences, or perhaps just areas that I really like. When I was studying at Edinburgh they were very keen on sketchbooks and I believe each designer develops their own sketchbook style. I still use them in my design process today.

Can you remember the first piece you ever designed?
In my first year at Edinburgh College of Art I designed a neckpiece using wooden cocktail sticks, coloured thread and silver – it still hangs in my workshop to this day!

What objects, people, places or spaces influence and inspire you?
As I have always had a love for architecture, this is often where I take my inspiration from as well as interior design and the subtleties of negative spaces and the shape formations that they create. Photography and travelling are two of my great loves and serve as the most important sparks of inspiration for my work. Exploring new places and capturing memories on my camera is where I draw most of my design ideas for new collections. I believe it’s vital to constantly search out new sources of inspiration which also gives me a great excuse to visit new places and see more of the world!

Your designs are bold, standout pieces, does this reflect your personal style?
I think my designs definitely reflect my personal style in a sense. I tend to dress in fairly plain clothing and jazz it up with some statement Jewellery!

What do you do when you’re not making jewellery? Or is it a full-time job?
Yes, my Jewellery business is my full time job! If I am taking time off, I try to visit different parts of Scotland – I love the beautiful scenery.

What’s the single best piece of advice you can give to someone starting out in Jewellery Design?
Surround yourself with like-minded creative people and never give up!

Here's a little look at just some of the pieces we will be showing in the Jewellery Showcase this week.
If that's whetted your appetite come and join us on the opening night (Thursday 5th December from 5.30 - 8pm) and all throughout December.







No comments:

Post a Comment